Wednesday 26 July 2017

Unable to map windows 10 to ubuntu samba share with \\hostname or \\fqdn ( system error 64 has occurred )


After migrating to Windows 10 one of the many issues I came across was being unable to map windows 10 to one of my ubuntu samba shares with \\hostname or a \\fqdn ( it was returning system error 64 has occurred and specified network name no longer available)

I found a fix by doing the following:


Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy

Under Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

Set "Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)" to "Disabled"

Restart the computer

For reference: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-April/162201.html

Unfortuantley whilst fixing one issue it highlighted another and that was not being able to communicate with one of my windows servers obviously requiring digital signing.

The root of the issue is that I am running Samba version 3.6.25, so I will update this to at least 4.3.11 as I know this works as per another Ubuntu server.

I will update this to confirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment