Thursday 18 February 2010

Synchronizing your email client then dealing with duplicate inboxes using thunderbird portable

I wanted to use Thunderbird portable on multiple machines but synchronize all machines. I use Microsoft's live snyc. this worked well until I started getting duplicate mail boxes! To resolve this I have to do two things
1)install Remove Duplicate Messages 0.1.07 not the alternative version.. this didn't seem to work for me.
2)go into Thunderbird and copy all messages from the duplicate folder into the main folder and then just to make sure you don't get mixed up, copy all combined messages into the duplicate folder the desired result would now be to have two folders with exactly the same messages in.
3)repeat this step for in boxes, sent and trash if so desired
4)right click each of the mailboxes and run "remove duplicates" continue this through all folders
5) the final step close Thunderbird and open the following \Data\profile\Mail\

your mail box name can be found by right clicking your inbox and selecting properties you should see something like mailbox:////Data/profile/Mail//Inbox in my case my mail box name was pop.iomartmail-2.com

6)Now delete all duplicates you should be left with the following
Drafts
Drafts.msf
Inbox
Inbox.msf
msgFilterRules.dat
popstate.dat
Sent
Sent.msf
Trash
Trash.msf

7)reload thunderbird and you should have just a single mail box!

Hope this helps and feel free to send a comment and I'll do my best to answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment